Election & Voter Information

2022 Election Announcement: Expiring Terms

Town of Hingham Nomination Papers will be available in the Town Clerk’s Office on January 10, 2022 for candidates interested in running for one of the expiring Town Official positions listed below.  Please call ahead at (781)741-1410 or contact us via email at townclerk@hingham-ma.gov to arrange a time to pick up your Nomination Papers.  

Nomination Papers must be submitted to the Town Clerk’s Office by Friday, March 11, 2022 for certification. While 50 certified signatures of voters registered in the Town of Hingham are required to be placed on the ballot, it is recommended that you obtain a minimum of 75 signatures. 

The following are the 2022 Expiring Terms:             

MODERATOR   (1 Year Term) Michael J. Puzo            

SELECT BOARD   (3 Year Term) Joseph M. Fisher        

BOARD OF ASSESSORS   (1 and 3 Year Terms):

Al Chambers (1 Year Term to fill balance of Greg Hall’s term expiring in 2023)

Christine M. Roberts (3 Year Term)     

BOARD OF HEALTH   (3 Year Term) Kirk J. Shilts            

MUNICIPAL LIGHT BOARD   (3 Year Term) Roger M. Freeman-Resigned/Successor TBD    

HOUSING AUTHORITY   (5 Year Term) Greg O’Meara                

SCHOOL COMMITTEE   (3 Year Term) Elizabeth O’Reilly, Carlos A. F. Da Silva, Nancy Correnti    

PLANNING BOARD   (5 Year Term) Gordon M. Carr    

SEWER COMMISSION   (3 Year Term) Kirk J. Shilts            

RECREATION COMMISSION   (5 Year Term) Nandita S. Scott            

The Town Clerk’s Office is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Tuesdays from 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM and on Fridays from 8:30 to 1:00 PM.

Please note that all deadlines have been calculated based on the current Town Election date of April 30, 2022 as provided by Article 2, Section 2 of the Town of Hingham General By-Laws.  The Select Board has submitted a petition to the Governor of Massachusetts under M.G.L. Const. Amend. Art. 2, Section 8, Paragraph 1, Clause (2) to request passage of a special act authorizing a postponement of the Town Election to a later date but prior to June 30, 2022.  That request is still pending and the current Town Election date may be subject to postponement based upon passage of the requested special act or similar law.

The Town Clerk's office accepts voter registration over the counter, by mail, or electronically. You may apply online at State of Massachusetts Voter Registration Information.

You can also change your party affiliation or register to vote when applying for a driver's license or changing the title on vehicles, etc. at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

On both of the above sites the information is electronically transmitted to the Town Clerk's office to update our records and notify the town where you previously voted.

An acknowledgement letter will be mailed to you confirming any changes in your voter registration status. It is very important that you carefully check your acknowledgement letter for errors and contact us at 781-741-1410 to report any corrections that may be necessary.

Precincts & Voting Locations

Election Officers

The Town Clerk's office is responsible for maintaining the roster and training election officers who work at all town, state, and federal elections. The Board of Selectmen appoints election officers on a yearly basis. Town Committee Chairmen for the Democratic and Republican parties submit lists of candidates who are interested in working the elections to the Selectmen's office. Once appointed by the Selectmen, the names are forwarded to the Town Clerk to be added to the roster.

New people are always needed. If you are interested, please contact the Town Clerk at 781-741-1410, or the Democratic or Republican Town Committee chairmen.

Absentee Ballots

Absentee ballots can be obtained for any election from the Town Clerk's office. If you are going to be out of town for any election during the year, you may apply for a ballot to be sent to you during the election period.
  • You may apply in writing or fax your request (including your signature) giving your legal voting address and the address where you wish your ballot to be sent. Our fax number is (781) 740-0239
  • A relative is allowed to fill out the application on your behalf, (3) you may obtain a form in the Clerk's office or apply online at State of Massachusetts absentee ballot webpage
When ballots become available, you may visit the Town Clerk's office to vote absentee at any time prior to noon the day before an election. * 2021 OFFICES CLOSED - We are not open to the public at this time.  Please call 781-741-1410 or email townclerk@hingham-ma.gov with questions.

If you are handicapped or housebound, and will be unable to get to the polls, you may vote in the comfort of your own home. Simply contact your physician's office, and have them send us a note stating your illness and we will send you a ballot for every election until you tell us to stop. This is strictly for medical reasons only. Should you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk's office, at 781-741-1410.

Early Voting

Legislation was passed in May of 2014, allowing early voting commencing with the 2016 general election. Town Elections are not included. Contact the Town Clerk's office with any questions.

To confirm your ballot has been received  and accepted, please visit www.trackmyballotma.com.

Running For a Town Elected Office

If so, you may pick up nomination papers in the Town Clerk's office. You are required to obtain 50 signatures of qualified, registered Hingham voters in order to have your name appear on the ballot. Papers are available after January 1 and must be returned 49 days prior to the election. Elections are scheduled the Saturday following Town Meeting. Town Meeting is held on the fourth Monday in April. Please contact the Town Clerk's office if you have any questions.

Visit the State Election Division

MA Elections Division

Voter Registration

The deadline for accepting new voter registrations is 20 days prior to each election.
Massachusetts Register to Vote Online


Still have questions?  The MA Elections Division has a full list of Vote by Mail FAQ to provide answers.

Please email the Town Clerk's office TownClerk@hingham-ma.gov with any questions.

Campaign Finances

Archived Reports

View Hingham's Campaign Finance Reports from previous elections

Requirements and Procedures

Are you spending personal funds on your campaign?  Here's how to disclose it on your Campaign Finance Report (PDF).

State and municipal candidates* in the non-depository system often make campaign expenditures using their personal funds. When doing so, they and are required to disclose the expenditures and contributions on their campaign finance reports.

Step One: Report the amount spent as a contribution from the candidate to the campaign on Schedule A, even though the money was paid directly to a vendor. If you anticipate being paid back by the committee, write "loan" next to the candidate's name.

Step Two: Record the amount as an expenditure, listing the actual vendor in the "To Whom Paid" column on Schedule B with the date, purpose, address and amount. Listing the expenditure accurately balances the account.

Step Three: If a candidate anticipates being paid back by the campaign, the contribution information should be listed in the liabilities section of the campaign finance report (Schedule D). Liabilities to a candidate can remain for as long as the committee is open, and may be paid back or forgiven at a future date.

Example: Candidate X needs to buy $1,000 worth of lawn signs but does not have that balance in his campaign account. He uses his personal funds. He will disclose the activity by reporting a $1,000 contribution to the campaign from himself on Schedule A and a $1,000 expenditure to the lawn sign company on Schedule B. If it is considered a loan to the campaign, he will also list the $1,000 amount as a liability on Schedule D.

Exception: If a candidate is reimbursed for these expenditures before the end of the campaign reporting period, the campaign finance report would disclose the activity as a reimbursement to the candidate (rather than a liability) and attach a reimbursement form (CPF RI).

*Includes all legislative candidates, and municipal candidates in cities and towns with populations of less than 100,000.