September 11, 2017
School Department Conference Room
220 Central Street
Hingham, MA 02043
Monday, September 11, 2017
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Minutes
2.1 Minutes of the School Committee meeting held on August 14, 2017.
3. Questions and Comments
Audience comments are always welcome as agenda items are discussed. The School Committee has set aside fifteen minutes on this agenda to enable members of the audience to raise questions and make comments on any matter of general concern that is not on the agenda. Individual speakers shall be limited to three minutes. Speakers are reminded that the meeting is being televised and are asked to respect the privacy rights of others. Comments against any individual are not allowed by Policy #3.7.5.
4. Superintendent’s Report
• Good News
• Start of School Update and Official Enrollment
• Vacancy and Hiring Update
5.1 Communications Received by the Superintendent: Fall Coaching Recommendations
5.2 Student communications
5.3 Other Communications; Notice of Annual Ethics Training on September 26, 2017
6. New Business
6.1 To receive the PreK-5 curriculum flyers for the 2017-2018 school year and hear comments on the changes from 2016-2017.
6.2 To receive the proposed School Committee Special Reports Calendar for 2017-2018.
6.3 To declare eight sail boats surplus and authorize the Director of Business and Support Services to oversee the sale of such boats to the highest bidder. The funds from the sale shall be deposited into Athletic Gift Account and Director of Business and Support Services shall be further authorized to use all proceeds of the sale towards the purchase of new sail boats.
6.4 To declare surplus van 129 and authorize the Director of Business and Support Services to sell the van to the highest bidder in accordance with town guidelines and Mass Procurement Laws. Proceeds derived from the sale shall be deposited into the town general fund.
6.5 To hear of final plans for the NEASC site visit to Hingham High School.
6.6 To receive a monthly report of facilities projects completed in August and planned for September.
6.7 To consider the home school application of Cosette Yungton (grade 8) for the 2017-2018 school year.
6.8 To consider the home school application of Timothy Warneck (grade 7) for the 2017-2018 school year.
6.9 To receive notification of the appointment of new teachers Michaela Finn at East School, Charlotte Bessoud at Foster School, Kristin Buckley and Cassandra Pacella at Plymouth River School. At HMS, Matthew Brown, Social Studies; Marianne Gately, Special Education; and Kristin Schreiber, Science. At HHS, Allyson Flynn, School Psychologist; Lynn Kaupp, Special Education; and Tracey Newman, English, all effective August 28, 2017.
6.10 To receive notification of the following appointments
• Ashley Sanford, Head Custodian at Foster School, and Mark Linehan, HHS Custodian, both effective August 28, 2017.
• Food Service Technicians Bobbie Jo Hamilton at Foster and Kathleen Campbell at PRS, both effective August 30, 2017.
• Paraeducators, all effective September 5, 2017: at East School, Kevin Fitzgerald, Rebecca Gagne, Taylor Groleau, Kristina Krozak, Robyn Marshall, Cynthia Murphy, and Kelsey O’Neill; at Foster School, Caroline Carver, Amy Conboy, Arlene Moynihan, Katherine Shaughnessey, Jessica Sinahan, and Abigail Theis; at South School, Alison Costa, Emily Fowler, Christiane Kuehberger, and Sydney Nuttal; at Hingham Middle School, Catherine Davis, Alice Korey, Jeffrey West, and Alison Costa; at Hingham High School, Molly Baggott, Jerome Ford, Jr., Nicole Harrison, Elizabeth Ingoldsby, Shayla Keenan, Matthew Maggio, Jenna McCarter, Virginia Paine, Louis Pires, and Christine White.
• Title I tutor at Foster School Jennifer Quirk, effective September 5, 2017.
• Transition Room Tutor at Hingham Middle School Allison Lizotte, effective September 5, 2017.
6.11 To receive notification of advancements on the salary scale on September 1, 2017 of Kathryn Avallone to M60 , Step 7; Elizabeth Bensten to M15 , Step 7; Nancy Bucey to M15 , Step 4; Rebecca Case to M60 , Step 13; Julie Chandler to M60 , Step 13; Timothy Ciolkosz to M15 , Step 7; Amy Corriveau to M60 , Step 13; Rebecca Cotton to M15 , Step 4; Julie Curatola to M15 , Step 8; Mary Dunphy to M60 , Step 12; Paula Flanagan to M15 , Step 13; Courtney Foley to M15 , Step 5; Elizabeth Galvin to M30 , Step 4; Rachel Gough to M30 , Step 7; Dana Hanseth to M15 , Step 7; Julie Harrington to M30 , Step 4; Michelle Katnani to M60 , Step 9; Holly Kelfer to M30 , Step 5; Joan Kilban to M60 , Step 13; Monica Knoblock to M60 , Step 8; Chris Landis to M15 , Step 13; Tara Mangiapane to M30 , Step 6; Camille Martel to M30 , Step 5; Monica Matthews to M60 , Step 13; Mark McCulloch to M , Step 7; Nina McGrath to M30 , Step 6; Kelly McPeck to M30 , Step 8; Marie Messina to M60 , Step 13; Meghan Norkus to M60 , Step 9; Jessica O'Hara to M30 , Step 7; Alexandra Ricciuti to B15 , Step 5; Susan Roy to M15 , Step 5; Katelyn Sassorossi to M30 , Step 5; Katie Shapiro to M30 , Step 11; Ariane Swearingen to M60 , Step 13; Joseph Tarantello to M30 , Step 8; Susan Willison to M30 , Step 5; and Maria Zade to M60 , Step 7.
6.12 To receive notification of the retirement of Rosemary Doran, F&CS teacher and resource teacher at HHS, effective November 30, 2017.
6.13 To receive notification of the resignations of Heather Benner, Foster School teacher, effective June 30, 2017; Alexis Regan, HHS Special Education teacher, effective August 17, 2017; paraeducators effective August 30, 2017: HHS: Brianna Decina, Shayna Miller, and Mary O’Laughlin; HMS: Jessica Dauksevicz and Ahna Clements; Elizabeth Parker at PRS; and Nicole Devilly at South School.
7. Other items as may not reasonably be known 48 hours in advance of the meeting
8. Subcommittee and Project Reports
9. Adjournment to Executive Session, not to return to open session, for the purpose of discussing collective bargaining with all units, the public discussion of which may be detrimental to the Committee’s bargaining position.
NEXT SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETING: September 25, 2017 at 7:30PM in the School Department Conference Room.