12/14/2021 COVID Update
• In Hingham, we are continuing to see a sharp increase in new COVID-19 cases. DPH is reporting 142 new COVID-19 cases during the 14-day period reported on 12/9/2021, compared to 44 cases over the two-week period reported on 11/25/2021.
• Hospitalizations for COVID-19 have been increasing in MA since mid-November.
• In light of these troubling trends, we are asking everyone to continue to take precautions to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. Public health protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19 include wearing face coverings, practicing social distancing, and frequently washing hands, among other measures.
• The overall vaccination rate for Hingham is now 77%. If you look at only vaccine-eligible individuals in Hingham (people age 5+), the percent of fully vaccinated eligible residents is 82%.
• According to DPH, approximately 59% of Hingham residents ages 5-11 have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and about 21% of residents ages 5-11 are fully vaccinated at this point.
• The Hingham Health and Fire Departments are working to organize a regional vaccine booster clinic with the Town of Cohasset for Tuesday, January 4th. The clinic will take place at the South Shore Baptist Church in Hingham and will offer Moderna booster shots to residents from Hingham and Cohasset. More details, including on how to register, will be coming shortly.
• We may also potentially hold a mini clinic for Hingham residents only on Tuesday 12/28 with limited booster shots available.
• Other local resources include:
o A drive-up vaccine clinic at the Marshfield Fair Grounds on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 9am-4pm. The Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, and Pfizer vaccines are all available at the Marshfield clinic. They are encouraging people to make appointments at www.marshfield-ma.gov, but will also offer shots to those without appointments, while supplies last. Those without appointments should arrive before 2pm. They are offering 1st and 2nd vaccine doses and booster shots. The holiday schedule for the Marshfield clinic will be Tuesday/Weds/Thursday during Christmas Week (Dec 21-23) and New Years Week (Dec 28-30) from 9am-4pm.
o CVS and Walgreens locations in Hingham are offering vaccines by appointment only.
• The Governor announced on Monday that 102 municipalities in the Commonwealth with the highest proportion of families at or below the poverty level are receiving iHealth Labs OTC at-home rapid antigen test kits in this initial distribution. Hingham is not among communities selected to receive these at-home, rapid antigen test kits.
• However, the state is offering lab-based PCR home test kits at no cost to eligible Massachusetts adults. Kits are reserved for adults (18+) who live or work in a congregate setting, are experiencing symptoms, have recently been in contact with someone with COVID-19, or who have otherwise been recommended for testing. Please visit the Pixel by LabCorp for Massachusetts webpage for details and to request a test kit.
• CVS locations that are offering COVID-19 testing include the CVS on Commercial Street in Weymouth, CVS on Rockland Street in Hanover, and the CVS on Main Street in South Weymouth. Many Walgreens locations are also offering testing – please check online for appointments.
• Now that the Town knows that we will not be recipients of a viable State testing solution, we will be investigating other local solutions and hope to report back next week on a testing plan.