- DPH is reporting that the 7-day average of confirmed COVID-19 cases has declined substantially, from 9,509 on January 24 to 4,803 on January 30.
- Statewide hospitalizations have fallen, from 2,783 on January 22 to 2,202 On January 28.
- The latest data show the Hingham case count is declining. DPH is reporting 118 new daily COVID-19 cases in Hingham during the 14-day period ending on 1/22/2022, compared to 174 cases over the 14-day period ending on 1/20/2022.
- It is important to note that many residents are now taking home-based testing which is most often not reported and therefore not in these statistics. As a result we are assuming that the actual number of positive cases is higher than these statistics show.
- The overall vaccination rate for Hingham is now 83% (for fully vaccinated individuals). Further, 48% of Hingham residents have received a booster dose. According to DPH, 66% of Hingham residents ages 5-11 are fully vaccinated.
Temporary COVID-19 regional testing site
- Hingham continues to conduct a regional COVID-19 drive through testing site, in partnership with Cohasset, Hull, and Scituate, at 335 Lincoln Street in Hingham.
- The Testing Center will be open on Mondays, Wednesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays, from 7a to 4p. PCR tests are available at no cost to the public.
- Residents and employees of the four communities will continue to have priority appointment access from 7a – 11a daily. Online preregistration is required; no tests will be administered without an appointment. All participants will be notified of test results by email.
- Activity at the test site is declining. On Thursday, January 28 – the last date the site was open – the vendor completed 29 tests. This number is down from a high of 115 tests on Saturday, Janauary 15.
- I am disappointed with test site performance and volume. We are working with the vendor to improve performance at the site.
COVID-19 Test kit distribution
- The Town of Hingham has received over 16,000 rapid antigen test kits from Plymouth County
- The Town is preparing to distribute these test kits to Hingham residents. We will use the drive through site that has been set up at 335 Lincoln Street.
- Kits will be distributed on two days, including:
- Sunday, February 13 from 1-4 pm
- Tuesday, February 15 from 1-4pm
- Two kits, holding a total of 4 tests, will be distributed to drivers of vehicles with a driver’s license showing a Hingham address
- More information about distribution will be made available in coming days, please monitor our website for more details.
Public Health Protocols
- Please continue to take precautions to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. As we all know, vaccination, wearing face coverings, practicing social distancing, and frequently washing hands, among other measures, help protect us all from COVID-19.
- On January 7, 2022, the Hingham Board of Health issued a Health Advisory strongly recommending the use of face coverings by all patrons, visitors, and employees within any indoor space open to the public in Hingham.
- The Health Advisory is directed to all visitors and employees within any indoor space in all public places, public housing, assisted living facilities, membership associations, and workplaces in Hingham.
- The CDC and the Massachusetts DPH guidance on face coverings can be found on their respective websites.
- The Board of Health recommends the use of an N-95, KN-95, or a (non-woven, multi-ply) surgical mask. Woven cloth masks, gators, and bandanas provide significantly less protection against this airborne respiratory virus. Also remember that any face covering should be fitted closely to one’s skin to prevent unwanted gaps and leaks.