Town Administrator Tom Mayo provided the following COVID-19 update at the Board of Selectmen meeting on August 4, 2020.
- Massachusetts remains in Phase 3 - Step 1 at this time.
- As of today, DPH is reporting 119,203 probable and confirmed cases in Massachusetts, of which 9,163 are in Plymouth County.
- As of last Wednesday, DPH was reporting 288 COVID-19 cases in Hingham.
State Guidance on Gatherings
- As we enter the last month of summer, we want to remind people to please be vigilant about taking COVID-19 precautions.
- The state recently sent a message reiterating guidance for large gatherings, including graduation parties and other summer events.
- Both DPH and the Hingham Health Department have received troubling reports of large gatherings where people are not wearing face coverings or practicing social distancing.
- The Commonwealth’s current guidance limits indoor gatherings to no more than 25 people and outdoor gatherings to 100 people.
- Please do your part – practice social distancing, wear a face covering when you can’t, wash your hands frequently, and of course stay home if you’re feeling sick or have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Thank you for enjoying summer responsibly and working to prevent a resurgence in our community.
Elder Services Updates
- The Senior Center is currently offering 13 different remote programs, including fitness, discussion, social, and educational opportunities, as well as an “Open Door” meeting hour with the Director of Elder Services.
- Last week, the Senior Center partnered with the state Office of Consumer Affairs to offer a presentation on identify theft and fraud prevention for local seniors.
- South Shore Elder Services continues to operate Meals on Wheels out of the Hingham Senior Center.
- Fuel Assistance Recertification Applications will start to arrive in seniors’ mailboxes this month. Residents can reach out to Senior Center staff for assistance with these forms by calling 781-741-1458.
Hingham Public Library Updates
- Right now, the Hingham Public Library is offering everything but in-person browsing and in-person computer use. All other services and resources are currently available, including virtual programs, technology one-on-one appointments, and access to the full Hingham collection digitally and via curbside pickup.
- Information about current Library events and programs, as well as instructions for curbside pickup, can be found at www.hinghamlibrary.org.