Prior to 1906, the land was privately owned. Due to its convenient access by water to Boston Harbor, the site was acquired by the U.S. Navy and used as an ammunition depot until 1971. In 1972, the Government declared the depot surplus and divided it up for several uses, including Bare Cove Park.
Bare Cove Park's many miles of paved roadways and woodland trails are ideal for walking, jogging, bicycling, or peaceful contemplation.
Park Rangers often drive through the park in clearly marked vehicles with headlights and emergency flashers on. Feel free to ask them for information or assistance. "You Are Here" maps and road signs are scattered throughout the park as a navigational aid.
Bare Cove Park consists of 484 acres located along the banks of the Weymouth Back River in the town of Hingham, Massachusetts. Set aside as a wildlife sanctuary and a place for public recreation, the park is an exceptional area of river shoreline, wetland, open fields, dense woods, and diverse animal and plant life. The many wild animals that inhabit Bare Cove Park include coyote, fox, and deer.