Building Inspections - Rules & Regulations
An approved set of plans as well as the building permit must be on the job site for all inspections.
After a building permit has been issued, it will be necessary to notify the Building Department at 781-741-1420 when ready for the following inspections. It is the responsibility of the person doing the work to schedule inspections. Normally, you want to give the Building Department at least 2 days notice for an inspection.
- Grounding Inspection - All new construction concrete must have encased grounding electrodes in lowest portion of foundation (footing) if there is steel in any portion of foundation. If not, a minimum of 20' of bare #4 copper is required. Electrical permit required and foundation must be inspected by Wiring Inspector before concrete poured.
- Foundation Inspection - After pouring of concrete and foundation has been sealed, before backfill. At this time a registered land surveyor must certify foundation placement and elevation by the submission of a certified as-built plan to be filed with the Building Department. No structural framing shall commence until foundation approvals are obtained from the Building Department. In the case of sonotubes, the inspector needs to see the holes before concrete is poured.
- Prior to Rough Inspections - Building must be at least 90% sided.
- Rough Frame/Firestopping Inspection - After rough wiring, rough plumbing, and sheet metal have been inspected and approved.
- Throat Inspection - A throat inspection is required.
- Insulation Inspection - An insulation inspection is required.
- Final Inspection - To obtain occupancy it will be your responsibility to obtain all necessary signatures verifying final inspections on your building permit card. This building permit card must be shown to the building department at least 24 hours in advance of the final building inspection along with a completed Final Cost Affidavit, Hers Rater information and certified as-builts when required.
Appointments for plumbing and gas inspection must be made by calling 781-741-1420 between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m., Monday through Friday. No emails or voice messages accepted.