Cleaner Greener Hingham
Plastic Bag Reduction and Encourage Reusable Bags By-Law
CGH recommends adoption of the "Plastic Bag Reduction and Encourage Reusable Bags Bylaw" at Town Meeting on Monday April 22nd. To learn more about the rationale and about the bylaw's provisions and to read the text of the bylaw visit the Current Articles page for this year's Town Meeting.
This bylaw has received support from the following groups: Hingham Board of Selectman, Hingham Advisory Board, Hingham Board of Health, League of Women Voters, Hingham Maritime Center Board, Hingham Democratic Committee, numerous businesses in downtown HIngham and Hingham Center and the MA Chapter of the Sierra Club.
Also the Green Teams of all 6 public schools are sponsoring showing of "A Plastic Ocean" on Thursday April 11th, 7p-8:30p at the Hingham Middle School Auditorium.
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
We’ve designed this newsletter to provide you information on recycling resources and requirements and answer frequently asked questions. Future newsletters will be available posted here and you may sign up to receive notification that a newsletter is available.
To sign up, go to our Notify Me page and select the “Cleaner Greener Hingham” list. You will receive an email announcing each new newsletter which will include a link for viewing.
View Most Recent Recycling Newsletter | Newsletter Archives
- Set benchmarks and goals
- Update body of knowledge
- Update website
- Update flyers
- Create distribution lists
- Involve each of the schools and develop education program
- Involve recreational programs by creating recycling education program for kids involved
- Involve cable television and local media
- Full recycling throughout the town, including all schools and municipal buildings
- Enforcing recycling and transfer station rules, including resident permits and mandatory recycling
- Develop compost program
- Determine what works for other towns around SWAP areas and implement best practices
- Incorporate recycling and green practices into developments around town - set an example for other towns
- Partner with Hingham League of Women's Voters, ICLE, and DEP
- Analyze commodity contracts
To promote and encourage efficient long-range waste planning with a focus on recycling through the use of communication/education, facilitation, and best practices.