Climate Action Planning Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Hingham Climate Action Plan - Community Engagement Survey
6/2/2022 - Do you know that Hingham has a goal of achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2040? The Climate Action Planning Committee is working hard to get us to our goal. To ensure an equitable future, we need to hear everyone's voice. We hope that you will share your thoughts.
Survey is live. Join the conversation.
Community Input Sessions
Hingham's Climate Action Planning Committee is hosting a public input sessions on 9/20/22 on Zoom. Please join us to share your ideas about what Hingham is planning as we confront the climate crisis. State Representative Joan Meschino will speak about the importance of Hingham's climate action planning efforts and how these efforts fit into and will be supported by recently passed state legislation.
Background: A Climate Action Plan (CAP) is a means to combat changes in the environment threatened by the continued release of carbon and other climate changing gases.
Many cities and towns throughout Massachusetts and indeed much of the world have completed, are currently undertaking, or are beginning the process of planning how to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in order to lessen the effects of climate change.
Throughout 2020 and 2021, Town Administration, the Selectboard, the Energy Action Committee, and concerned citizens groups have deliberated on the need for Hingham to engage in a climate action planning process.
In recognition of this effort and in acknowledging the need, the Town voted at Town Meeting April 2021 to create a Climate Action Planning Committee (CAPC).
Mission: At Town Meeting April 2021, the Town voted to establish the CAPC to fulfill two charges:
- Evaluate a wide range of carbon emission reduction strategies, and
- Propose measures to achieve a zero sum of carbon emissions produced and taken out of the atmosphere (i.e., “net zero” carbon emissions) by the year 2040 or another target date deemed feasible.
- Brad E. Moyer, Chair, Energy Action Committee Representative
- Maria Zade, Cleaner Greener Hingham Representative
- Carlos DaSilva, School Committee Representative
- Thomas Morahan, Hingham Municipal Lighting Plant Representative
- Gary Tondorf-Dick, Planning Board Representative
- [TBD], Conservation Commission Representative
- Nancy Wiley, Development & Industrial Commission Representative
- Kathy Reardon, Select Board Appointee
- Elliott Place, Select Board Appointee
- Beth Porter, Moderator Appointee
- Shannon Kacherovich, Moderator Appointee